● Personal information: Recorded information about a living identifiable or easily identifiable
● Sensitive information: Personal information about a living individual's race or ethnicity, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record, or memberships details, such as trade union or professional, political or trade associations, genetic data and biometric data.
● Medical information: Information about a living or deceased individual's physical, mental or psychological health.
● Personal Information: name, residential address, email address, telephone number, date of
birth, passport details (for international applicants) and nationality. USC will also assign
you with a unique applicant/student identification number once you apply or is accepted in
● Education background employment history: the school(s) and/or universities you have attended, programs and course that have been completed, date(s) of completion, and the institution(s) where it was completed. For applicants for employment, we will also keep records of your work history, evaluation of your previous work, your past employers and other related service information;
● Information about your family or personal affiliations, and academic and extracurricular interests since these maybe relevant to the assessment of your suitability to receive scholarships/student financial aids/assistance;
● Sensitive personal information such as your political affiliations, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record, or memberships details, religious or philosophical beliefs and ethnicity among others;
● Information concerning your health/medical conditions including your medical history, diagnosis of illness(es), disability and dietary needs.
● From the information you provide to the University when you contact us and you express your
interest in studying at the University of San Carlos;
● When you apply to study at USC and complete application forms/enrollment forms and when you complete other admissions procedures;
● When you make inquiries, or communicate with us via email, through our University accounts in various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube);
● Through other ways by which you interact us during your time as a student, employee, donor, or third party of USC, for example from your previous school, university or employers who may provide a reference about you.
● prospective and current students
● exchange students
● visiting and exchange professors
● job applicants
● existing employees
● donors (individual/company)
● research participants
● industry partners
● university contractors, suppliers, concessionaires
● partner civic organization volunteers
● other members of the public who interacts and has transactions with the university
USC uses personal and sensitive personal information as we perform and fulfill our core functions which
includes teaching, research and community extension. We use your information according to the primary
purpose for which it was collected and for other related purposes as required by law and with your consent.
We will not share the information with third parties unless you give your written consent or there is an order
from the court.
We may use and process your information for:
● Educational support: admission, enrolment, assessment/testing, learning activities, graduation, content delivery and learning activities, graduation, student services such as counselling, library use, medical examination and data analysis;
● Research: data analysis, commercialization and administration;
● Community extension and industry engagement: alumni relations, industry partnerships, website operation, event invitations and community forum;
● Employment: recruitment, payroll processing, employee development and other human resource programs and activities, annual physical examination;
● Operational/infrastructure management: processing fees, data analysis, financial management, IT, legal and professional services, and educational opportunities, CCTV monitoring, access to systems, identity management and emergency response;
● Non-academic matters in support of our core services, including: provision of student support services, managing student accommodation, parking within the campus, dealing with grievances and disciplinary actions;
● For other purposes permitted by law, such as the provision of information to government agencies and legal entities.
USC may share your personal data with certain third parties if called for by official business or transaction
and in consonance with the provisions of the Data Privacy Act. We may disclose limited personal data to a
variety of recipients including:
● Our employees and administrators;
● Third parties who have legitimate transactions with the University such as: agencies who work with us to provide health care and insurance, scholarship sponsors, current/potential education providers, funding bodies, current/potential employers for references, professional regulatory bodies with regards to the confirmation of qualifications, registration for professional examination/certification, government agencies where we have a legal obligation to provide information, third parties conducting researches and surveys. These recipients of the above-mentioned organizations and third party service providers are required to keep personal information confidential and provide the same privacy safeguards as we do in the University.
USC takes appropriate security measures to protect your personal information from loss, and unauthorized
access or disclosure.
● Stored information is archived in accordance with the ICT Policy of the University which determines when information should be retained or disposed. Proper actions are taken into consideration to destroy and disposes personal information when it is no longer needed.
● Upon request, information will be destroyed unless applicable law requires destruction after the expiration of an applicable retention period. The manner of destruction shall be appropriate to preserve and ensure the confidentiality of your information given the level of sensitivity, value and criticality to the University.
● Personal information may be stored as hard/printed copies, as electronic data, in the University’s Integrated School Management Information System and other application systems in network or its designated repositories.
USC honors the rights of data subjects with regards to access of stored personal information and to request
its correction, update or deletion in applicable circumstances. You may request access to your personal
information and in some instances, you will be able to access and update your personal information yourself
through the Integrated School Management Information System portal. You may also access or correct your
personal information by directly contacting the area specific unit of the University that holds your
information such as the Office of the Registrar and the Information Resource Management Office among
Where applicable you may be allowed the following (provided it is legal to do so):
Rectify personal information held about you where it is incorrect or incomplete (right to rectification)
● Request that your personal information be deleted if certain legal grounds are met (right to erasure)
● Rectify personal information held about you where it is incorrect or incomplete (right to rectification)
● Restrict or object to how your personal information is used (right to object and restrict processing); and
● Obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form, or request us in writing that we share your personal information with any person acting on your behalf (such as agents, guardians, employers, government departments) (right to portability).
The Board of Trustees shall review this policy every two (2) years, and may amend the same at any time if deemed necessary.
This Policy shall take effect upon its adoption by the Board of Trustees.
ADOPTED this 11th day of May 2019.